In this work, an all-fiber-based mode converter for generating orbital angular momentum (OAM) beams is proposed and numerically investigated. Its structure is constructed by cascading a mode selective coupler (MSC) and an inner elliptical cladding fiber (IECF). OAM modes refer to a combination of two orthogonal LPlm modes with a phase difference of ±π/2. By adjusting the parameters and controlling the splicing angle of MSC and IECF appropriately, higher-order OAM modes with topological charges of l = ±1, ±2, ±3 can be obtained with the injection of the fundamental mode LP01, resulting in a mode-conversion efficiency of almost 100%. This achievement may pave the way towards the realization of a compact, all-fiber, and high-efficiency device for increasing the transmission capacity and spectral efficiency in optical communication systems with OAM mode multiplexing.
Fiber-based mode converter for generating optical vortex beams
First published at:Aug 13, 2018
1. Allen L, Beijersbergen M W, Spreeuw R J C, Woerdman J P. Orbital angular momentum of light and the transformation of Laguerre-Gaussian laser modes. Phys Rev A 45, 8185–8189 (1992).
2. Wang J, Yang J Y, Fazal I M, Ahmed N, Yan Y et al. Terabit free-space data transmission employing orbital angular mo-mentum multiplexing. Nat Photonics 6, 488–496 (2012).
3. Willner A E, Huang H, Yan Y, Ren Y, Ahmed N et al. Optical communications using orbital angular momentum beams. Adv Opt Photonics 7, 66–106 (2015).
4. Bozinovic N, Yue Y, Ren Y, Tur M, Kristensen P et al. Tera-bit-scale orbital angular momentum mode division multiplexing in fibers. Science 340, 1545–1548 (2013).
5. Dholakia K, Čižmár T. Shaping the future of manipulation. Nat Photonics 5, 335–342 (2011).
6. Padgett M, Bowman R. Tweezers with a twist. Nat Photonics 5, 343–348 (2011).
7. Tkachenko G, Brasselet E. Helicity-dependent three-dimensional optical trapping of chiral microparticles. Nat Commun 5, 4491 (2014).
8. Hell S W, Wichmann J. Breaking the diffraction resolution limit by stimulated emission: stimulated-emission-depletion fluores-cence microscopy. Opt Lett 19, 780–782 (1994).
9. Nicolas A, Veissier L, Giner L, Giacobino E, Maxein D et al. A quantum memory for orbital angular momentum photonic qubits. Nat Photonics 8, 234–238 (2014).
10. Sueda K, Miyaji G, Miyanaga N, Nakatsuka M. Laguerre-Gaussian beam generated with a multilevel spiral phase plate for high intensity laser pulses. Opt Express 12, 3548–3553 (2004).
11. Beijersbergen M W, Allen L, Van der Veen H E L O, Woerdman J P. Astigmatic laser mode converters and transfer of orbital angular momentum. Opt Commun 96, 123–132 (1993).
12. Dashti P Z, Alhassen F, Lee H P. Observation of orbital angular momentum transfer between acoustic and optical vortices in optical fiber. Phys Rev Lett 96, 043604 (2006).
13. Jiang Y C, Ren G B, Lian Y D, Zhu B F, Jin W X et al. Tuna-ble orbital angular momentum generation in optical fibers. Opt Lett 41, 3535–3538 (2016).
14. Li S H, Mo Q, Hu X, Du C, Wang J. Controllable all-fiber orbital angular momentum mode converter. Opt Lett 40, 4376–4379 (2015).
15. Chen R S, Sun F L, Yao J N, Wang J H, Ming H et al. Mode-locked all-fiber laser generating optical vortex pulses with tunable repetition rate. Appl Phys Lett 112, 261103 (2018).
16. Jin X Q, Pang F F, Zhang Y, Huang S J, Li Y C et al. Genera-tion of the first-order OAM modes in single-ring fibers by offset splicing technology. IEEE Photonic Tech L 28, 1581–1584 (2016).
17. Zhang Y, Pang F F, Liu H H, Jin X Q, Huang S J et al. Generation of the first-order OAM modes in ring fibers by exerting pressure technology. IEEE Photonics J 9, 7101609 (2017).
18. Lin Z X, Wang A T, Xu L X, Zhang X Q, Sun B et al. Genera-tion of optical vortices using a helical fiber Bragg grating. J Lightwave Technol 32, 2152–2156 (2014).
19. Zhang X Q, Wang A T, Chen R S, Zhou Y, Ming H et al. Generation and conversion of higher order optical vortices in optical fiber with helical fiber Bragg gratings. J Lightwave Technol 34, 2413–2418 (2016).
20. Fang L, Wang J. Flexible generation/conversion/exchange of fiber-guided orbital angular momentum modes using helical gratings. Opt Lett 40, 4010–4013 (2015).
21. Fang L, Wang J. Mode conversion and orbital angular momentum transfer among multiple modes by helical gratings. IEEE J Quantum Elect 52, 6600306 (2016).
22. Yan Y, Wang J, Zhang L, Yang J Y, Fazal I M et al. Fiber coupler for generating orbital angular momentum modes. Opt Lett 36, 4269–4271 (2011).
23. Yan Y, Zhang L, Wang J, Yang J Y, Fazal I M et al. Fiber structure to convert a Gaussian beam to higher-order optical orbital angular momentum modes. Opt Lett 37, 3294–3296 (2012).
24. Huang W, Liu Y G, Wang Z, Zhang W C, Luo M M et al. Generation and excitation of different orbital angular momentum states in a tunable microstructure optical fiber. Opt Express 23, 33741–33752 (2015).
25. Guan B B, Scott R P, Qin C, Fontaine N K, Su T H et al. Free-space coherent optical communication with orbital angular, momentum multiplexing/demultiplexing using a hybrid 3D photonic integrated circuit. Opt Express 22, 145–156 (2014).
26. Su T H, Scott R P, Djordjevic S S, Fontaine N K, Geisler D J et al. Demonstration of free space coherent optical communication using integrated silicon photonic orbital angular momentum devices. Opt Express 20, 9396–9402 (2012).
27. Fontaine N K, Doerr C R, Buhl L L. Efficient multiplexing and demultiplexing of free-space orbital angular momentum using photonic integrated circuits. In OFC/NFOEC 1–3 (IEEE, 2012).
28. Cai X L, Wang J W, Strain M J, Johnson-Morris B, Zhu J B et al. Integrated compact optical vortex beam emitters. Science 338, 363–366 (2012).
29. Ren H R, Li X P, Zhang Q M, Gu M. On-chip noninterference angular momentum multiplexing of broadband light. Science 352, 805–809 (2016).
30. Wang S, Deng Z L, Cao Y Y, Hu D J, Xu Y et al. Angular momentum-dependent transmission of circularly polarized vortex beams through a plasmonic coaxial nanoring. IEEE Photonics J 10, 5700109 (2018).
31. Pu M B, Li X, Ma X L, Wang Y Q, Zhao Z Y et al. Catenary optics for achromatic generation of perfect optical angular momentum. Sci Adv 1, e1500396 (2015).
32. Riesen N, Love J D. Weakly-guiding mode-selective fiber couplers. IEEE J Quantum Elect 48, 941–945 (2012).
33. Whalen M S, Wood T H. Effectively nonreciprocal evanes-cent-wave optical-fibre directional coupler. Electron Lett 21, 175–176 (1985).
34. Wang T, Wang F, Shi F, Pang F F, Huang S J et al. Generation of femtosecond optical vortex beams in all-fiber mode-locked fiber laser using mode selective coupler. J Lightwave Technol 35, 2161–2166 (2017).
35. Wan H D, Wang J, Zhang Z X, Cai Y, Sun B et al. High efficiency mode-locked, cylindrical vector beam fiber laser based on a mode selective coupler. Opt Express 25, 11444–11451 (2017).
36. Huang W P. Coupled-mode theory for optical waveguides: an overview. J Opt Soc Am A 11, 963–983 (1994).
37. Zeng X L, Li Y, Li W, Zhang L Y, Wu J. All-fiber broadband degenerate mode rotator for mode-division multiplexing systems. IEEE Photonic Tech L 28, 1383–1386 (2016).
38. Katsuyama T, Matsumura H, Suganuma T. Low-loss sin-gle-polarization fibers. Electronics Lett 17, 473–474 (1981).
39. Molina-Terriza G, Torres J P, Torner L. Management of the angular momentum of light: preparation of photons in multidimensional vector states of angular momentum. Phys Rev Lett 88, 013601 (2001).
40. Zhao P, Li S K, Feng X, Cui K Y, Liu F et al. Measuring the complex orbital angular momentum spectrum of light with a mode-matching method. Opt Lett 42, 1080–1083 (2017).
41. Han Y, Liu Y G, Huang W, Wang Z, Guo J Q et al. Generation of linearly polarized orbital angular momentum modes in a side-hole ring fiber with tunable topology numbers. Opt Express 24, 17272–17284 (2016).
National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) (61275049)
Get Citation: Chen R S, Wang J H, Zhang X Q, Yao J N, Ming H et al. Fiber-based mode converter for generating optical vortex beams. Opto-Electronic Advances 1, 180003 (2018).