In this paper, a solution for speckle reduction using phase plate array (PPA) and lens array (LA) in a motionless way is proposed. The specially designed PPA is composed of sub-phase plates, which are constituted by phase patterns formed by Hadamard sub-matrices. Each component of the proposed optical system should satisfy the stated relationships. The incident laser beam will be incoherent after passing through PPA, and superpose on the screen under the action of LA and main lens. Speckle reduction can be achieved by the averaging of the incoherent speckle patterns. Because of abandoning the mechanical movement, it will be suitable for laser displays and images.
Speckle reduction using phase plate array and lens array
First published at:Jan 20, 2020
1. Chellappan K V, Erden E, Urey H. Laser-based displays: a review. Appl Opt 49, F79–F98 (2010).
2. Goodman J W. Some fundamental properties of speckle. J Opt Soc Am 66, 1145–1150 (1976).
3. Tran T K T, Chen X Y, Svensen Ø, Akram M N. Speckle reduction in laser projection using a dynamic deformable mirror. Opt Express 22, 11152–11166 (2014).
4. Akram M N, Tong Z M, Ouyang G M, Chen X Y, Kartashov V. Laser speckle reduction due to spatial and angular diversity introduced by fast scanning micromirror. Appl Opt 49, 3297–3304 (2010).
5. Tong Z M, Chen X Y, Akram M N, Aksnes A. Compound speckle characterization method and reduction by optical design. J Dis Technol 8, 132–137 (2012).
6. Riechert F, Craggs G, Meuret Y, van Giel B, Thienpont H et al. Low-speckle laser projection with a broad-area vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser in the nonmodal emission regime. Appl Opt 48, 792–798 (2009).
7. Redding B, Choma M A, Cao H. Speckle-free laser imaging using random laser illumination. Nat Photon 6, 355–359 (2012).
8. Mizuyama Y, Leto R. Laser speckle reduction element (USA, US8902506B2, 2011).
9. Lutz Y, Poyet J M. Methodology for the conception of speckle reduction elements in the case of short pulse illumination. Proc SPIE 9649, 96490L (2015).
10. Tong Z M, Chen X Y. Speckle contrast for superposed speckle patterns created by rotating the orientation of laser polarization. J Opt Soc Am A 29, 2074–2079 (2012).
11. Liu C S, Chang Y C, Lin K W, Lin P H. Speckle reduction in laser imaging applications using rotating magneto-optical disk. J Opt Soc Am A 31, 16–20 (2014).
12. Deng Q L, Lin B S, Wu P J, Chiu K Y, Fan P L et al. A hybrid temporal and spatial speckle-suppression method for laser displays. Opt Express 21, 31062–31071 (2013).
13. Mehta D S, Naik D N, Singh R K, Takeda M. Laser speckle reduction by multimode optical fiber bundle with combined temporal, spatial, and angular diversity. Appl Opt 51, 1894–1904 (2012).
14. Trisnadi J I. Hadamard speckle contrast reduction. Opt Lett 29, 11–13 (2004).
15. Trisnadi J I. Speckle contrast reduction in laser projection displays. Proc SPIE 4657, 131–137 (2002).
16. Gao W H, Tong Z M, Kartashov V, Akram M N, Chen X Y. Replacing two-dimensional binary phase matrix by a pair of one-dimensional dynamic phase matrices for laser speckle reduction. J Dis Technol 8, 291–295 (2012).
17. Koers G, Ocket I, Feng Q, Tavakol V, Jäger I et al. Study of active millimeter-wave image speckle reduction by Hadamard phase pattern illumination. J Opt Soc Am A 25, 312–317 (2008).
18. Akram M N, Kartashov V, Tong Z M. Speckle reduction in line-scan laser projectors using binary phase codes. Opt Lett 35, 444–446 (2010).
19. Lapchuk A, Kryuchyn A, Petrov V, Yurlov V, Klymenko V. Full speckle suppression in laser projectors using two Barker code-type diffractive optical elements. J Opt Soc Am A 30, 22–31 (2013).
20. Wang Z, Wang A T, Wang S L, Ma X H, Ming H. Resolu-tion-enhanced integral imaging using two micro-lens arrays with different focal lengths for capturing and display. Opt Ex-press 23, 28970–28977 (2015).
21. Ma X H, Wang S L, Liu W W, Ma F H, Wang A T et al. Opti-mized stereo matching algorithm for integral imaging micros-copy and its potential use in precise 3-D optical manipulation. Opt Commun 430, 374–379 (2019).
22. Wang Z, Wang A T, Ma X H, Liu B Y, Ma F H et al. Integral floating 3-D display using two retro-reflector arrays. IEEE Photon J 9, 7000108 (2017).
23. Goodman J W. Speckle Phenomena in Optics: Theory and Applications (Roberts and Company Publishers, Englewood, 2007).
Get Citation: Ma X H, Wang A T, Ma F H, Wu S M, Ming H. Speckle reduction using phase plate array and lens array. Opto-Electron Adv 3, 190036 (2020).
Next: Development of a hybrid photoacoustic and optical monitoring system for the study of laser ablation processes upon the removal of encrustation from stonework