Mid-infrared (MIR) fiber pulsed lasers are of tremendous application interest in eye-safe LIDAR, spectroscopy, chemi-cal detection and medicine. So far, these MIR lasers largely required bulk optical elements, complex free-space light alignment and large footprint, precluding compact all-fiber structure. Here, we proposed and demonstrated an all-fiberized structured gain-switched Ho3+-doped ZBLAN fiber laser operating around 2.9 μm. A home-made 1146 nm Raman fiber pulsed laser was utilized to pump highly concentrated single-cladding Ho3+-doped ZBLAN fiber with different lengths of 2 m or 0.25 m. A home-made MIR fiber mirror and a perpendicular-polished ZBLAN fiber end construct the all-fiberized MIR cavity. Stable gain-switched multiple states with a sub-pulse number tuned from 1 to 8 were observed. The effects of gain fiber length, pump power, pump repetition rate and output coupling ratio on performance of gain-switched pulses were further investigated in detail. The shortest pulse duration of 283 ns was attained with 10 kHz repetition rate. The pulsed laser, centered at 2.92 μm, had a maximum average output power of 54.2 mW and a slope efficiency of 10.12%. It is, to the best of our knowledge, the first time to demonstrate a mid-infrared gain-switched Ho3+:ZBLAN fiber laser with compact all-fiber structure.
Mid-infrared all-fiber gain-switched pulsed laser at 3 μm
1. Arnold G E, Hiesinger H, Helbert J, Peter G, Walter I. MERTIS−thermal infrared imaging of Mercury: advances in mid-IR remote sensing technology for planetary exploration. Proc SPIE 7808, 78080I (2010).
2. Kaufmann R, Hartmann A, Hibst R. Cutting and skin-ablative properties of pulsed mid-infrared laser surgery. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 20, 112–118 (1994).
3. Bekman H H P T, van den Heuvel J C, van Putten F J M, Schleijpen R. Development of a mid-infrared laser for study of infrared countermeasures techniques. Proc. SPIE 5615, 27–38 (2004).
4. Zhu X S, Jain R. Watt-level 100-nm tunable 3-μm fiber laser. IEEE Photonics Technol Lett 20, 156–158 (2008).
5. Li J F, Wang L L, Luo H Y, Xie J T, Liu Y. High power cascaded erbium doped fluoride fiber laser at room temperature. IEEE Photonics Technol Lett 28, 673–676 (2016).
6. Aydin Y O, Fortin V, Vallée R, Bernier M. Towards power scaling of 2.8 μm fiber lasers. Opt Lett 43, 4542–4545 (2018).
7. Jackson S D. Singly Ho3+-doped fluoride fibre laser operating at 2.92 μm. Electron Lett 40, 1400–1401 (2004).
8. Li J F, Luo H Y, Wang L L, Liu Y, Yan Z J et al. Mid-infrared passively switched pulsed dual wavelength Ho3+-doped fluoride fiber laser at 3 μm and 2 μm. Sci Rep 5, 10770 (2015).
9. Woodward R I, Hudson D D, Fuerbach A, Jackson S D. Generation of 70-fs pulses at 2.86 μm from a mid-infrared fiber laser. Opt Lett 42, 4893–4896 (2017).
10. Jackson S D. Continuous wave 2.9 μm dysprosium-doped fluoride fiber laser. Appl Phys Lett 83, 1316–1318 (2003).
11. Luo H Y, Li J F, Gao Y, Xu Y, Li X H et al. Tunable passively Q-switched Dy3+-doped fiber laser from 2.71 to 3.08 μm using PbS nanoparticles. Opt Lett 44, 2322–2325 (2019).
12. Coleman D J, King T A, Ko D K, Lee J. Q-switched operation of a 2.7 μm cladding-pumped Er3+/Pr3+ codoped ZBLAN fibre laser. Opt Commun 236, 379–385 (2004).
13. Hu T, Hudson D D, Jackson S D. Actively Q-switched 2.9 μm Ho3+Pr3+-doped fluoride fiber laser. Opt Lett 37, 2145–2147 (2012).
14. Li J, Luo H, He Y L, Liu Y, Zhang L et al. Semiconductor saturable absorber mirror passively Q-switched 2.97 μm fluoride fiber laser. Laser Phys Lett 11, 065102 (2014).
15. Frerichs C, Unrau U B. Passive Q-switching and mode-locking of erbium-doped fluoride fiber lasers at 2.7 μm. Opt Fiber Technol 2, 358–366 (1996).
16. Wei C, Zhang H, Shi H, Konynenbelt K, Luo H et al. Over 5-W passively Q-switched mid-infrared fiber laser with a wide continuous wavelength tuning range. IEEE Photonics Technol Lett 29, 881–884 (2017).
17. Li J F, Luo H Y, Wang L L, Zhao C J, Zhang H et al. 3-μm Mid-infrared pulse generation using topological insulator as the saturable absorber. Opt Lett 40, 3659–3662 (2015).
18. Zhu G W, Zhu X S, Balakrishnan K, Norwood R A, Peyghambarian N. Fe2+:ZnSe and graphene Q-switched singly Ho3+-doped ZBLAN fiber lasers at 3 μm. Opt Mater Exp 3, 1365–1377 (2013).
19. Li J F, Luo H Y, Zhai B, Lu R G, Guo Z N et al. Black phosphorus: a two-dimension saturable absorption material for mid-infrared Q-switched and mode-locked fiber lasers. Sci Rep 6, 30361 (2016).
20. Zhu C H, Wang F Q, Meng Y F, Yuan X, Xiu F X et al. A robust and tuneable mid-infrared optical switch enabled by bulk Dirac fermions. Nat Commun 8, 14111 (2017).
21. Dickinson B C, Golding P S, Pollnau M, King T A, Jackson S D. Investigation of a 791-nm pulsed-pumped 2.7-μm Er-doped ZBLAN fibre laser. Opt Commun 191, 315–321 (2001).
22. Shen Y L, Huang K, Zhou S Q, Luan K P, Yu L et al. Gain-switched 2.8μm Er3+-doped double-clad ZBLAN fiber laser. Proc SPIE 9543, 95431E (2015).
23. Gorjan M, Petkovšek R, Marinček M, Čopič M. High-power pulsed diode-pumped Er:ZBLAN fiber laser. Opt Lett 36, 1923–1925 (2011).
24. Li J F, Hu T, Jackson S D. Q-switched induced gain switching of a two-transition cascade laser. Opt Express 20, 13123–13128 (2012).
25. Luo H Y, Li J F, Hai Y C, Lai X, Liu Y. State-switchable and wavelength-tunable gain-switched mid-infrared fiber laser in the wavelength region around 2.94 μm. Opt Express 26, 63–79 (2018).
26. Jobin F, Fortin V, Maes F, Bernier M, Vallée R. Gain-switched fiber laser at 3.55 μm. Opt Lett 43, 1770–1773 (2018).
27. Luo H Y, Li J F, Zhu C, Lai X, Hai Y C et al. Cascaded gain-switching in the mid-infrared region. Sci Rep 7, 16891 (2017).
28. Luo H Y, Yang J, Liu F, Hu Z, Xu Y et al. Watt-level gain-switched fiber laser at 3.46 μm. Opt Express 27, 1367–1375 (2019).
29. Shen Y L, Wang Y S, Luan K P, Chen H W, Tao M M et al. Efficient wavelength-tunable gain-switching and gain-switched mode-locking operation of a heavily Er3+-doped ZBLAN mid-infrared fiber laser. IEEE Photonics J 9, 1504510 (2017).
30. Wei C, Luo H Y, Shi H X, Lyu Y J, Zhang H et al. Widely wavelength tunable gain-switched Er3+-doped ZBLAN fiber laser around 2.8 μm. Opt Express 25, 8816–8827 (2017).
31. Shi Y, Li J, Luo H, Xu Y, Liu F et al. Gain-Switched Dual-Waveband Ho 3+ -Doped Fluoride Fiber Laser Based on Hybrid Pumping. IEEE Photonic Techl 31, 46–49 (2019).
32. Paradis P, Fortin V, Aydin Y O, Vallée R, Bernier M. 10 W-level gain-switched all-fiber laser at 2.8 μm. Opt Lett 43, 3196–3199 (2018).
33. Wetenkamp L, West G F, Többen H. Co-doping effects in erbium3+-and holmium3+-doped ZBLAN glasses. J Non Cryst Solids 140, 25–30 (1992).
34. Yang J L, Tang Y L, Xu J Q. Development and applications of gain-switched fiber lasers [Invited]. Photonics Res 1 52–57 (2013).
35. Dickinson B C, Jackson S D, King T A. 10 mJ total output from a gain-switched Tm-doped fibre laser. Opt Commun 182, 199–203 (2000).
36. Le Flohic M, Franchois P L, Allain J Y, Sanchez F, Stephan G M. Dynamics of the transient buildup of emission in Nd3+-doped fiber lasers. IEEE J Quantum Electron 27, 1910–1921 (1991).
37. Jiang M, Tayebati P. Stable 10 ns, kilowatt peak-power pulse generation from a gain-switched Tm-doped fiber laser. Opt Lett 32, 1797–1799 (2007).
National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 61475129, 11674269), Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (No. 20720180057); Natural Science Foundation of Fujian Prov-ince for Distinguished Young Scientists (No. 2017J06016); Dr. Luo is grateful for supports from the Program for the Young Top Notch Talents of Fujian Province and the Program for the Nanqiang Young Top Notch Talents of Xiamen University.
引用本文： Zhang X J, Li W W, Li J, Xu H Y, Cai Z P et al. Mid-infrared all-fiber gain-switched pulsed laser at 3 μm. Opto-Electron Adv 3, 190032 (2020).