Few-mode and multi-core fibers are proposed and demonstrated for contactless vital signs monitoring in this paper. In-line optical fiber interferometers using few-mode and multi-core fibers are designed and offset splicing is utilized for mode excitation. Extinction ratio and insertion loss are analyzed experimentally under different offset distances. The fabricated in-line interferometers are packaged under the mattress to realize contactless vital signs signals collection. By using filtering techniques, both respiration and heartbeat signals can be recovered successfully, and respiration as well as heartbeat ratio are obtained. Mode excitation and interference are theoretically analyzed in few-mode fiber while curvature sensing experiments using multi-core fiber interferometer are performed to verify its excellent performance on vital signs monitoring. The successful demonstration on contactless vital signs monitoring makes few-mode and multi-core fibers promising candidates for healthcare applications.
Contactless vital signs monitoring based on few-mode and multi-core fibers
First published at:May 21, 2020
1. Khan Y, Ostfeld A E, Lochner C M, Pierre A, Arias A C. Monitoring of vital signs with flexible and wearable medical devices. Adv Mater 28, 4373–4395 (2016).
2. Tsai S Y, Lee C H, Chen P H, Chung K H, Huang S H et al. Risk factors for early cardiovascular mortality in patients with bipolar disorder. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 71, 716–724 (2017).
3. Wise R A, Chapman K R, Scirica B M, Schoenfeld D A, Bhatt D L et al. Long-term evaluation of the effects of aclidinium bromide on major adverse cardiovascular events and COPD exacerbations in patients with moderate to very severe COPD: rationale and design of the ASCENT COPD study. Chronic Obstr Pulm Dis 5, 5–15 (2018).
4. Zhang F X, Yu Y, Zhong J. Research status and development prospects of human vital signs monitoring clothing. IOP Conf Se Earth Environ Sci 233, 042031 (2019).
5. Wang Z H, Yang Z C, Dong T. A review of wearable technologies for elderly care that can accurately track indoor position, recognize physical activities and monitor vital signs in real time. Sensors (Basel) 17, 341 (2017).
6. Guay P, Gorgutsa S, LaRochelle S, Messaddeq Y. Wearable contactless respiration sensor based on multi-material fibers integrated into textile. Sensors (Basel) 17, 1050 (2017).
7. Corbishley P, Rodriguez-Villegas E. Breathing detection: towards a miniaturized, wearable, battery-operated monitoring system. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 55, 196–204 (2008).
8. Mimoz O, Benard T, Gaucher A, Frasca D, Debaene B. Accuracy of respiratory rate monitoring using a non-invasive acoustic method after general anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 108, 872–875 (2012).
9. Pourbabaee B, Roshtkhari M J, Khorasani K. Deep convolutional neural networks and learning ECG features for screening paroxysmal atrial fibrillation patients. IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern Syst 48, 2095–2104 (2018).
10. Vu E L, Rusin C G, Penny D J, Kibler K K, Easley R B et al. A novel electrocardiogram algorithm utilizing st-segment instability for detection of cardiopulmonary arrest in single ventricle physiology: a retrospective study. Pediatr Crit Care Med 18, 44–53 (2017).
11. Haberman Z C, Jahn R T, Bose R, Tun H, Shinbane J S et al. Wireless smartphone ECG enables large-scale screening in diverse populations. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 26, 520–526 (2015).
12. Lochner C M, Khan Y, Pierre A, Arias A C. All-organic optoelectronic sensor for pulse oximetry. Nat Commun 5, 5745 (2014).
13. Harju J, Tarniceriu A, Parak J, Vehkaoja A, Yli-Hankala A et al. Monitoring of heart rate and inter-beat intervals with wrist plethysmography in patients with atrial fibrillation. Physiol Meas 39, 065007 (2018).
14. Liu J, Chen Y Y, Wang Y, Chen X, Cheng J et al. Monitoring vital signs and postures during sleep using wifi signals. IEEE Internet Things J 5, 2071–2084 (2018).
15. Nosrati M, Shahsavari S, Lee S, Wang H, Tavassolian N. A concurrent dual-beam phased-array doppler radar using MIMO beamforming techniques for short-range vital-signs monitoring. IEEE Trans Antennas Propag 67, 2390–2404 (2019).
16. Hui X N, Kan E C. Monitoring vital signs over multiplexed radio by near-field coherent sensing. Nat Electron 1, 74–78 (2018).
17. Wadhwa N, Chen J G, Sellon J B, Wei D L, Rubinstein M et al. Motion microscopy for visualizing and quantifying small motions. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 114, 11639–11644 (2017).
18. Chen X L, Shao J Y, An N L, Li X M, Tian H M et al. Self-powered flexible pressure sensors with vertically well-aligned piezoelectric nanowire arrays for monitoring vital signs. J Mater Chem C 3, 11806–11814 (2015).
19. Sadek I, Seet E, Biswas J, Abdulrazak B, Mokhtari M. Nonintrusive vital signs monitoring for sleep apnea patients: a preliminary study. IEEE Access 6, 2506–2514 (2018).
20. Garcia I, Zubia J, Durana G, Aldabaldetreku G, Illarramendi M A et al. Optical fiber sensors for aircraft structural health monitoring. Sensors (Basel) 15, 15494–15519 (2015).
21. Barrias A, Casas J R, Villalba S. A review of distributed optical fiber sensors for civil engineering applications. Sensors 16, 748 (2016).
22. Yang X F, Chen Z H, Elvin C S M, Janice L H Y, Ng S H et al. Textile fiber optic microbend sensor used for heartbeat and respiration monitoring. IEEE Sens J 15, 757–761 (2015).
23. Yu C Y, Xu W, Zhang N, Yu C C. Non-invasive smart health monitoring system based on optical fiber interferometers. In Proceedings of the 2017 16th International Conference on Optical Communications and Networks 1–3 (IEEE, 2017); http://doi.org/10.1109/ICOCN.2017.8121526.
24. Inan O T, Migeotte P F, Park K S, Etemadi M, Tavakolian K et al. Ballistocardiography and seismocardiography: a review of recent advances. IEEE J Biomed Health Inform 19, 1414–1427 (2015).
25. Li G F, Bai N, Zhao N B, Xia C. Space-division multiplexing: the next frontier in optical communication. Adv Opt Photonics 6, 413–487 (2014).
26. Rademacher G, Ryf R, Fontaine N K, Chen H S, Essiambre R J et al. Long-haul transmission over few-mode fibers with space-division multiplexing. J Lightw Technol 36, 1382–1388 (2018).
27. Van Newkirk A, Antonio-Lopez E, Salceda-Delgado G, Amezcua-Correa R, Schülzgen A. Optimization of multicore fiber for high-temperature sensing. Opt Lett 39, 4812–4815 (2014).
28. Villatoro J, Arrizabalaga O, Durana G, Saez de Ocariz I, Antonio-Lopez E et al. Accurate strain sensing based on super-mode interference in strongly coupled multi-core optical fibres. Sci Rep 7, 4451 (2017).
29. Zhao Z Y, Dang Y L, Tang M, Li B R, Gan L et al. Spatial-division multiplexed Brillouin distributed sensing based on a heterogeneous multicore fiber. Opt Lett 42, 171–174 (2017).
30. Li A, Wang Y F, Fang J, Li M J, Kim B Y et al. Few-mode fiber multi-parameter sensor with distributed temperature and strain discrimination. Opt Lett 40, 1488–1491 (2015).
31. Zhao Z Y, Tang M, Fu S N, Liu S, Wei H F et al. All-solid multi-core fiber-based multipath Mach–Zehnder interferometer for temperature sensing. Appl Phys B 112, 491–497 (2013).
32. Chen S Y, Huang Z Y, Tan F Z, Yang T Y, Tu J J et al. Vital signs monitoring using few-mode fiber-based sensors. Proc SPIE 10814, 108140P (2018).
33. Chen S Y, Tan F Z, Huang Z Y, Yang T Y, Tu J J et al. Non-invasive smart monitoring system based on multi-core fiber optic interferometers. In Proceedings of 2018 Asia Communications and Photonics Conference 1–3 (IEEE, 2018); http://doi.org/10.1109/ACP.2018.8595907.
34. Tan F Z, Liu Z Y, Chen S Y, Yu C Y. Vital signs monitoring using twin core fiber-based sensor. In Proceedings of the 2019 24th OptoElectronics and Communications Conference (OECC) and 2019 International Conference on Photonics in Switching and Computing (PSC) (IEEE, 2019).
35. Weng Y, Ip E, Pan Z Q, Wang T. Single-end simultaneous temperature and strain sensing techniques based on Brillouin optical time domain reflectometry in few-mode fibers. Opt Express 23, 9024–9039 (2015).
36. Yin G L, Lou S Q, Lu W L, Wang X. A high-sensitive fiber curvature sensor using twin core fiber-based filter. Appl Phys B 115, 99–104 (2014).
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (1-ZVHA and 1-ZVGB) and HK GRC GRF (15211317).
Get Citation: Tan F Z, Lyu W M, Chen S Y, Liu Z Y, Yu C Y. Contactless vital signs monitoring based on few-mode and multi-core fibers. Opto-Electron Adv 3, 190034 (2020).