The generation of high-repetition rate (frep ≥ 10 GHz) ultra-broadband optical frequency combs (OFCs) at 1550 nm and 1310 nm is investigated by seeding two types of highly nonlinear fibers (HNLFs) with 10 GHz picosecond pulses at the pump wavelength of 1550 nm. When pumped near the zero dispersion wavelength (ZDW) in the normal dispersion region of a HNLF, 10 GHz flat-topped OFC with 43 nm bandwidth within 5 dB power variation is generated by self-phase modulation (SPM)-based OFC spectral broadening at 26.5 dBm pump power, and 291 fs pulse trains with 10 GHz repetition rate are obtained at 18 dBm pump power without complicated pulse shaping methods. Furthermore, when pumped in the abnormal dispersion region of a HNLF, OFCs with dispersive waves around 1310 nm are studied using a common HNLF and fluorotellurite fibers, which maintain the good coherence of the pump light at 1550 nm. At the same time, sufficient tunability of the generated dispersive waves is achieved when tuning the pump power or ZDW.
10-GHz broadband optical frequency comb generation at 1550/1310 nm
First published at:Jul 22, 2020
1. Jones D J, Diddams S A, Ranka J K, Stentz A, Windeler R S et al. Carrier-envelope phase control of femtosecond mode-locked lasers and direct optical frequency synthesis. Science 288, 635–639 (2000).
2. Quinlan F, Ycas G, Osterman S, Diddams S A. A 12.5 GHz-spaced optical frequency comb spanning> 400 nm for near-infrared astronomical spectrograph calibration. Rev Sci Instrum 81, 063105 (2010).
3. Wilken T, Curto G L, Probst R A, Steinmetz T, Manescau A et al. A spectrograph for exoplanet observations calibrated at the centimetre-per-second level. Nature 485, 611–614 (2012).
4. Jiang Z, Huang C B, Leaird D E, Weiner A M. Optical arbitrary waveform processing of more than 100 spectral comb lines. Nat Photonics 1, 463–467 (2007).
5. Cundiff S T, Weiner A M. Optical arbitrary waveform generation. Nat Photonics 4, 760–766 (2010).
6. Hamidi E, Leaird D E, Weiner A M. Tunable programmable microwave photonic filters based on an optical frequency comb. IEEE Trans Microw Theory Tech 58, 3269–3278 (2010).
7. Hu H, Da Ros F, Pu M H, Ye F H, Ingerslev K et al. Sin-gle-source chip-based frequency comb enabling extreme parallel data transmission. Nat Photonics 12, 469–473 (2018).
8. Bartels A, Heinecke D, Diddams S A. 10-GHz self-referenced optical frequency comb. Science 326, 681 (2009).
9. Yoshida M, Yoshida K, Kasai K, Nakazawa M. 1.55 μm hydro-gen cyanide optical frequency-stabilized and 10 GHz repeti-tion-rate-stabilized mode-locked fiber laser. Opt Express 24, 24287–24296 (2016).
10. Nakazawa M, Kasai K, Yoshida M. C2H2 absolutely optical frequency-stabilized and 40 GHz repetition-rate-stabilized, regeneratively mode-locked picosecond erbium fiber laser at 1.53 μm. Opt Lett 33, 2641–2643 (2008).
11. Torres-Company V, Weiner A M. Optical frequency comb tech-nology for ultra-broadband radio-frequency photonics. Laser Photonics Rev 8, 368–393 (2014).
12. Dou Y J, Zhang H M, Yao M Y. Generation of flat opti-cal-frequency comb using cascaded intensity and phase modulators. IEEE Photonics Technol Lett 24, 727–729 (2012).
13. Wu R, Supradeepa V R, Long C M, Leaird D E, Weiner A M. Generation of very flat optical frequency combs from continu-ous-wave lasers using cascaded intensity and phase modula-tors driven by tailored radio frequency waveforms. Opt Lett 35, 3234–3236 (2010).
14. Metcalf A J, Torres-Company V, Leaird D E, Weiner A M. High-power broadly tunable electrooptic frequency comb generator. IEEE J Sel Top Quant Electron 19, 3500306 (2013).
15. Ishizawa A, Nishikawa T, Mizutori A, Takara H, Aozasa S et al. Octave-spanning frequency comb generated by 250 fs pulse train emitted from 25 GHz externally phase-modulated laser diode for carrier-envelope-offset-locking. Electron Lett 46, 1343–1344 (2010).
16. Yang X, Richardson D J, Petropoulos P. Nonlinear generation of ultra-flat broadened spectrum based on adaptive pulse shaping. J Lightwave Technol 30, 1971–1977 (2012).
17. Yang T, Dong J J, Liao S S, Huang D X, Zhang X L. Comparison analysis of optical frequency comb generation with nonlinear effects in highly nonlinear fibers. Opt Express 21, 8508–8520 (2013).
18. Myslivets E, Alic N, Radic S. High resolution measurement of arbitrary-dispersion fibers: dispersion map reconstruction techniques. J Lightwave Technol 28, 3478–3487 (2010).
19. Myslivets E, Kuo B P P, Alic N, Radic S. Generation of wideband frequency combs by continuous-wave seeding of multistage mixers with synthesized dispersion. Opt Express 20, 3331–3344 (2012).
20. Ataie V, Temprana E, Liu L, Myslivets E, Kuo B P P et al. Ultrahigh count coherent WDM channels transmission using optical parametric comb-based frequency synthesizer. J Lightwave Technol 33, 694–699 (2015).
21. Rueda A, Sedlmeir F, Kumari M, Leuchs G, Schwefel H G L. Resonant electro-optic frequency comb. Nature 568, 378–381 (2019).
22. Zhang M, Buscaino B, Wang C, Shams-Ansari A, Reimer C et al. Broadband electro-optic frequency comb generation in a lithium niobate microring resonator. Nature 568, 373–377 (2019).
23. Barry L P, Del Burgo S, Thomsen B, Watts R T, Reid D A et al. Optimization of optical data transmitters for 40-Gb/s lightwave systems using frequency resolved optical gating. IEEE Photonics Technol Lett 14, 971–973 (2002).
24. Agrawal G P. Nonlinear Fiber Optics 3rd ed (Academic Press, San Diego, 2001).
25. Huang Y L, Li Q, Han J Y, Jia Z X, Yu Y S et al. Temporal soliton and optical frequency comb generation in a Brillouin laser cavity. Optica 6, 1491–1497 (2019).
26. Weng H Z, Han J Y, Li Q, Yang Y D, Xiao J L et al. Optical frequency comb generation based on the dual-mode square microlaser and a nonlinear fiber loop. Appl Phys B 124, 91 (2018).
27. Marin-Palomo P, Kemal J N, Karpov M, Kordts A, Pfeifle J et al. Microresonator-based solitons for massively parallel coherent optical communications. Nature 546, 274–279 (2017).
28. Chen Z G, Taylor A J, Efimov A. Coherent mid-infrared broad-band continuum generation in non-uniform ZBLAN fiber taper. Opt Express 17, 5852–5860 (2009).
29. Yao C C, Jia Z X, Li Z R, Jia S J, Zhao Z P et al. High-power mid-infrared supercontinuum laser source using fluorotellurite fiber. Optica 5, 1264–1270 (2018).
30. Yao C C, Zhao Z P, Jia Z X, Li Q, Hu M L et al. Mid-infrared dispersive waves generation in a birefringent fluorotellurite microstructured fiber. Appl Phys Lett 109, 101102 (2016).
31. Jia Z X, Yao C C, Jia S J, Wang F, Wang S B et al. 4.5 W supercontinuum generation from 1017 to 3438 nm in an all-solid fluorotellurite fiber. Appl Phys Lett 110, 261106 (2017).
National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 61527823) and the National Key R&D Program of China (Grant No. 2017YFB0405301).
Get Citation: Han J Y, Huang Y L, Wu J L, Li Z R, Yang Y D et al. 10-GHz broadband optical frequency comb generation at 1550/1310 nm. Opto-Electron Adv 3, 190033 (2020).