This paper is devoted to reviewing the results achieved so far in the application of the single-pixel imaging technique to terahertz (THz) systems. The use of THz radiation for imaging purposes has been largely explored in the last twenty years, due to the unique capabilities of this kind of radiation in interrogating material properties. However, THz imaging systems are still limited by the long acquisition time required to reconstruct the object image and significant efforts have been recently directed to overcome this drawback. One of the most promising approaches in this sense is the so-called “single-pixel” imaging, which in general enables image reconstruction by patterning the beam probing the object and measuring the total transmission (or reflection) with a single-pixel detector (i.e., with no spatial resolution). The main advantages of such technique are that i) no bulky moving parts are required to raster-scan the object and ii) compressed sensing (CS) algorithms, which allow an appropriate reconstruction of the image with an incomplete set of measurements, can be successfully implemented. Overall, this can result in a reduction of the acquisition time. In this review, we cover the experimental solutions proposed to implement such imaging technique at THz frequencies, as well as some practical uses for typical THz applications.
Single-pixel terahertz imaging: a review
First published at:Sep 23, 2020
1. Mittleman D M. Twenty years of terahertz imaging [Invited]. Opt Express 26, 9417–9431 (2018).
2. Mittleman D M, Jacobsen R H, Nuss M C. T-ray imaging. IEEE J Sel Top Quantum Electron 2, 679–692 (1996).
3. Liu H B, Zhong H, Karpowicz N, Chen Y Q, Zhang X C. Terahertz spectroscopy and imaging for defense and security applications. Proc IEEE 95, 1514–1527 (2007).
4. Stoik C, Bohn M, Blackshire J. Nondestructive evaluation of aircraft composites using reflective terahertz time domain spectroscopy. NDT E Int 43, 106–115 (2010).
5. Blanchard F, Doi A, Tanaka T, Tanaka K. Real-time, subwavelength terahertz imaging. Annu Rev Mater Res 43, 237–259 (2013).
6. Jacobsen R H, Mittleman D M, Nuss M C. Chemical recognition of gases and gas mixtures with terahertz waves. Opt Lett 21, 2011–2013 (1996).
7. Parrott E P J, Zeitler J A. Terahertz time-domain and low-frequency raman spectroscopy of organic materials. Appl Spectrosc 69, 1–25 (2015).
8. Baxter J B, Guglietta G W. Terahertz spectroscopy. Anal Chem 83, 4342–4368 (2011).
9. Jepsen P U, Cooke D G, Koch M. Terahertz spectroscopy and imaging-Modern techniques and applications. Laser Photon Rev 5, 124–166 (2011).
10. Shen Y C, Lo T, Taday P F, Cole B E, Tribe W R et al. Detection and identification of explosives using terahertz pulsed spectroscopic imaging. Appl Phys Lett 86, 241116 (2005).
11. Duling I, Zimdars D. Revealing hidden defects. Nat Photon 3, 630–632 (2009).
12. J?rdens C, Koch M. Detection of foreign bodies in chocolate with pulsed terahertz spectroscopy. Opt Eng 47, 037003 (2008).
13. Jansen C, Wietzke S, Peters O, Scheller M, Vieweg N et al. Terahertz imaging: Applications and perspectives. Appl Opt 49, E48–E57 (2010).
14. Sun Q S, He Y Z, Liu K, Fan S T, Parrott E P J et al. Recent advances in terahertz technology for biomedical applications. Quant Imaging Med Surg 7, 345–355 (2017).
15. Yang X, Zhao X, Yang K, Liu Y P, Liu Y et al. Biomedical applications of terahertz spectroscopy and imaging. Trends Biotechnol 34, 810–824 (2016).
16. Naccache R, Mazhorova A, Clerici M, Piccoli R, Khorashad L K et al. Terahertz thermometry: combining hyperspectral imaging and temperature mapping at terahertz frequencies. Laser Photon Rev 11, 1600342 (2017).
17. Koch-Dandolo C L, Filtenborg T, Fukunaga K, Skou-Hansen J, Jepsen P U. Reflection terahertz time-domain imaging for analysis of an 18th century neoclassical easel painting. Appl Opt 54, 5123–5129 (2015).
18. Abraham E, Younus A, Delagnes J C, Mounaix P. Non-invasive investigation of art paintings by terahertz imaging. Appl Phys A 100, 585–590 (2010).
19. Dong J L, Locquet A, Melis M, Citrin D S. Global mapping of stratigraphy of an old-master painting using sparsity-based terahertz reflectometry. Sci Rep 7, 15098 (2017).
20. Menlo. THz Imaging Tool with ImageLab Processing Software. https://www.menlosystems.com/products/thz-time-domain-solutions/tera-image-3/.
21. Guerboukha H, Nallappan K, Skorobogatiy M. Toward real-time terahertz imaging. Adv Opt Photon 10, 843–938 (2018).
22. Lee A W M, Qin Q, Kumar S, Williams B S, Hu Q. Real-time terahertz imaging over a standoff distance (>25meters). Appl Phys Lett 89, 141125 (2006).
23. Nemoto N, Kanda N, Imai R, Konishi K, Miyoshi M et al. High-sensitivity and broadband, real-time terahertz camera incorporating a micro-bolometer array with resonant cavity structure. IEEE Trans Terahertz Sci Technol 6, 175–182 (2016).
24. Yang J, Ruan S C, Zhang M. Real-time, continuous-wave terahertz imaging by a pyroelectric camera. Chin Opt Lett 6, 29–31 (2008).
25. Al Hadi R, Sherry H, Grzyb J, Zhao Y, F?rster W et al. A 1 k-pixel video camera for 0.7–1.1 terahertz imaging applications in 65-nm CMOS. IEEE J Solid-State Circuits 47, 2999–3012 (2012).
26. Cooper K B, Dengler R J, Llombart N, Thomas B, Chattopadhyay G et al. THz imaging radar for standoff personnel screening. IEEE Trans Terahertz Sci Technol 1, 169–182 (2011).
27. Katletz S, Pfleger M, Pühringer H, Vieweg N, Scherger B et al. Efficient terahertz en-face imaging. Opt Express 19, 23042 (2011).
28. Henry S C, Zurk L M, Schecklman S. Terahertz spectral imaging using correlation processing. IEEE Trans Terahertz Sci Technol 3, 486–493 (2013).
29. Ushakov A, Chizhov P, Bukin V, Savel’ev A, Garnov S. Broadband in-line terahertz 2D imaging: comparative study with time-of-flight, cross-correlation, and Fourier transform data processing. J Opt Soc Am B 35, 1159–1164 (2018).
30. Schumann S, Jansen C, Schwerdtfeger M, Busch S, Peters O et al. Spectrum to space transformed fast terahertz imaging. Opt Express 20, 19200–19205 (2012).
31. Guerboukha H, Nallappan K, Skorobogatiy M. Exploiting k-space/frequency duality toward real-time terahertz imaging. Optica 5, 109–116 (2018).
32. Edgar M P, Gibson G M, Padgett M J. Principles and prospects for single-pixel imaging. Nat Photon 13, 13–20 (2019).
33. Candes E J, Wakin M B. An introduction to compressive sampling. IEEE Signal Process Mag 25, 21–30 (2008).
34. M. (Center for R. and S. R. Harwit, N. Y. Cornell University, Ithaca, N. J. A. (Bell L. Sloan, and N. J. Murray Hill, Hadamard Transform Optics (Academic Press, 1979).
35. Zhang Z B, Ma X, Zhong J G. Single-pixel imaging by means of Fourier spectrum acquisition. Nat Commun 6, 6225 (2015).
36. Zhang Z B, Wang X Y, Zheng G A, Zhong J G. Hadamard single-pixel imaging versus Fourier single-pixel imaging. Opt Express 25, 19619–19639 (2017).
37. Stern A. Optical Compressive Imaging (CRC Press/Taylor & Francis, 2016).
38. Duarte M F, Davenport M A, Takbar D, Laska J N, Sun T et al. Single-pixel imaging via compressive sampling: Building simpler, smaller, and less-expensive digital cameras. IEEE Signal Process Mag 25, 83–91 (2008).
39. Candes E J, Tao T. Near-optimal signal recovery from random projections: Universal encoding strategies? IEEE Trans Inf Theory 52, 5406–5425 (2006).
40. Donoho D L. Compressed sensing. IEEE Trans Inf Theory 52, 1289–1306 (2006).
41. Candès E J, Romberg J, Tao T. Robust uncertainty principles: Exact signal reconstruction from highly incomplete frequency information. IEEE Trans Inf Theory 52, 489–509 (2006).
42. Augustin S, Frohmann S, Jung P, Hübers H W. Mask responses for single-pixel terahertz imaging. Sci Rep 8, 4886 (2018).
43. Chan W L, Charan K, Takhar D, Kelly K F, Baraniuk R G et al. A single-pixel terahertz imaging system based on compressed sensing. Appl Phys Lett 93, 121105 (2008).
44. Shen H, Gan L, Newman N, Dong Y, Li C et al. Spinning disk for compressive imaging. Opt Lett 37, 46–48 (2012).
45. Duan P, Wang Y Y, Xu D G, Yan C, Yang Z et al. Single pixel imaging with tunable terahertz parametric oscillator. Appl Opt 55, 3670–3675 (2016).
46. Kannegulla A, Shams M I B, Liu L, Cheng L J. Photo-induced spatial modulation of THz waves: opportunities and limitations. Opt Express 23, 32098–32112 (2015).
47. Chen Q, Jiang Z, Xu G X, Zhang X C. Near-field terahertz imaging with a dynamic aperture. Opt Lett 25, 1122–1124 (2000).
48. Busch S, Scherger B, Scheller M, Koch M. Optically controlled terahertz beam steering and imaging. Opt Lett 37, 1391–1393 (2012).
49. Shrekenhamer D, Watts C M, Padilla W J. Terahertz single pixel imaging with an optically controlled dynamic spatial light modulator. Opt Express 21, 12507–12518 (2013).
50. Kannegulla A, Jiang Z, Rahman S M, Shams M I B, Fay P et al. Coded-aperture imaging using photo-induced reconfigurable aperture arrays for mapping terahertz beams. IEEE Trans Terahertz Sci Technol 4, 321–327 (2014).
51. Augustin S, Hieronymus J, Jung P, Hübers H W. Compressed sensing in a fully non-mechanical 350 GHz imaging setting. J Infrared, Millim Terahertz Waves 36, 496–512 (2015).
52. Shang Y J, Wang X K, Sun W F, Han P, Ye J S et al. Terahertz image reconstruction based on compressed sensing and inverse Fresnel diffraction. Opt Express 27, 14725–14735 (2019).
53. She R B, Liu W Q, Lu Y F, Zhou Z S, Li G Y. Fourier single-pixel imaging in the terahertz regime. Appl Phys Lett 115, 021101 (2019).
54. Stantchev R I, Yu X, Blu T, Pickwell-MacPherson E. Real-time terahertz imaging with a single-pixel detector. Nat Commun 11, 2535 (2020).
55. Watts C M, Shrekenhamer D, Montoya J, Lipworth G, Hunt J et al. Terahertz compressive imaging with metamaterial spatial light modulators. Nat Photon 8, 605–609 (2014).
56. Kappa J, Sokoluk D, Klingel S, Shemelya C, Oesterschulze E et al. Electrically reconfigurable micromirror array for direct spatial light modulation of terahertz waves over a bandwidth wider than 1?THz. Sci Rep 9, 2597 (2019).
57. Zhao J P, Yiwen E, Williams K, Zhang X C, Boyd R W. Spatial sampling of terahertz fields with sub-wavelength accuracy via probe-beam encoding. Light Sci Appl 8, 55 (2019).
58. Olivieri L, Totero Gongora J S, Pasquazi A, Peccianti M. Time-resolved nonlinear ghost imaging. ACS Photon 5, 3379–3388 (2018).
59. Olivieri L, Totero Gongora J S, Peters L, Cecconi V, Cutrona A et al. Hyperspectral terahertz microscopy via nonlinear ghost Imaging. Optica 7, 186–191 (2020).
60. Saqueb S A N, Sertel K. Phase-sensitive single-pixel Thz imaging using intensity-only measurements. IEEE Trans Terahertz Sci Technol 6, 810–816 (2016).
61. Shen Y C, Gan L, Stringer M, Burnett A, Tych K et al. Terahertz pulsed spectroscopic imaging using optimized binary masks. Appl Phys Lett 95, 231112 (2009).
62. Zanotto L, Piccoli R, Dong J, Caraffini D, Morandotti R, Razzari L. Time-domain terahertz compressive imaging. Opt Express 28, 3795–3802 (2020).
63. Stantchev R I, Sun B Q, Hornett S M, Hobson P A, Gibson G M et al. Noninvasive, near-field terahertz imaging of hidden objects using a single-pixel detector. Sci Adv 2, e1600190 (2016).
64. Stantchev R I, Phillips D B, Hobson P, Hornett S M, Padgett M J et al. Compressed sensing with near-field THz radiation. Optica 4, 989–992 (2017).
65. Hornett S M, Stantchev R I, Vardaki M Z, Beckerleg C, Hendry E. Subwavelength terahertz imaging of graphene photoconductivity. Nano Lett 16, 7019–7024 (2016).
66. Stantchev R I, Mansfield J C, Edginton R S, Hobson P, Palombo F et al. Subwavelength hyperspectral THz studies of articular cartilage. Sci Rep 8, 6924 (2018).
67. Chen S C, Du L H, Meng K, Li J, Zhai Z H et al. Terahertz wave near-field compressive imaging with a spatial resolution of over λ/100. Opt Lett 44, 21–24 (2019).
68. Mohr T, Herdt A, Els?sser W. 2D tomographic terahertz imaging using a single pixel detector. Opt Express 26, 3353–3367 (2018).
69. Saqueb S A N, Sertel K. Compressive Terahertz Imaging Using a Single-Bit Sensor. IEEE Trans Terahertz Sci Technol 8, 757–764 (2018).
70. Saqueb S A N, Sertel K. Multisensor compressive sensing for high frame-rate imaging system in the THz Band. IEEE Trans Terahertz Sci Technol 9, 520–523 (2019).
71. Chen S C, Feng Z, Li J, Tan W, Du L H et al. Ghost spintronic THz-emitter-array microscope. Light Sci Appl 9, 99 (2020).
72. Seifert T, Jaiswal S, Martens U, Hannegan J, Braun L et al. Efficient metallic spintronic emitters of ultrabroadband terahertz radiation. Nat Photon 10, 483–488 (2016).
73. Teo S M, Ofori-Okai B K, Werley C A, Nelson K A. Invited Article: Single-shot THz detection techniques optimized for multidimensional THz spectroscopy. Rev Sci Instrum 86, 051301 (2015).
the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
Get Citation: Zanotto L, Piccoli R, Dong J L, Morandotti R, Razzari L. Single-pixel terahertz imaging: a review. Opto-Electron Adv 3, 200012 (2020).