We integrally demonstrate 2 μm mode-locked pulses performances in all-fiber net anomalous dispersion cavity. Stable mode-locking operations with the center wavelength around 1950–1980 nm can be achieved by using the nonlinear polarization rotation structure and properly designing the dispersion management component. Conventional soliton is firstly obtained with a total anomalous dispersion cavity. Due to the contribution of commercial ultra-high numerical aperture fibers, net dispersion is reduced to -0.077 ps2. So that stretched pulse with 19.4 nm optical bandwidth is obtained and the de-chirped pulse-width can reach 312 fs using extra-cavity compression. Under pump power greater than 890 mW, stretched pulse can evolve into noise-like pulse with 41.3 nm bandwidth. The envelope and peak of such broadband pulse can be compressed with up to 2.2 ps and 145 fs, respectively. The single pulse energy of largely chirped stretched and noise-like pulse can reach 1.785 nJ and 1.53 nJ, respectively. Furthermore, extra-cavity compression can also contribute to a significant increase of peak power.
Observation and optimization of 2 μm mode-locked pulses in all-fiber net anomalous dispersion laser cavity
First published at:Nov 27, 2020
1. Fried N M. Thulium fiber laser lithotripsy: an in vitro analysis of stone fragmentation using a modulated 110-watt thulium fiber laser at 1.94 μm. Lasers Surg Med 37, 53–58 (2005).
2. Tunc B, Gulsoy M. Tm: fiber laser ablation with real-time temperature monitoring for minimizing collateral thermal damage: ex vivo dosimetry for ovine brain. Lasers Surg Med 45, 48–56 (2013).
3. De Young R J, Barnes N P. Profiling atmospheric water vapor using a fiber laser lidar system. Appl Opt 49, 562–567 (2010).
4. Leindecker N, Marandi A, Byer R L, Vodopyanov K L, Jiang J et al. Schunemann. Octave-spanning ultrafast OPO with 2.6–6.1μm instantaneous bandwidth pumped by femtosecond Tm-fiber laser. Opt Express 20, 7046–7053 (2012).
5. Lin P, Wang T S, Ma W Z, Chen J D, Jiang H L. Propagation characteristics of 2.07 μm fiber laser in weak turbulence condition. Opto-Electron Eng, 47, 190588 (2020)
6. Eckerle M, Kieleck C, ?widerski J, Jackson S D, Mazé G et al. Actively Q-switched and mode-locked Tm3+-doped silicate 2 μm fiber laser for supercontinuum generation in fluoride fiber. Opt Lett 37, 512–514 (2012).
7. Wang Q, Chen T, Zhang B, Heberle A P, Chen K P. All-fiber passively mode-locked thulium-doped fiber ring oscillator operated at solitary and noiselike modes. Opt Lett 36, 3750–3752 (2011).
8. Ma W Z, Wang T S, Zhang Y, Liu P, Su Y W et al. Widely tunable 2 μm continuous-wave and mode-locked fiber laser. Appl Opt 56, 3342–3346 (2017).
9. Wang X F, Peng X L, Zhang J H. Multistate passively mode-locked thulium-doped fiber laser with nonlinear amplifying loop mirror. Appl Opt 57, 3410–3414 (2018).
10. Liu S, Yan F P, Zhang L N, Han W G, Bai Z Y et al. Noise-like femtosecond pulse in passively mode-locked Tm-doped NALM-based oscillator with small net anomalous dispersion. J Opt 18, 015508 (2016).
11. Li H H, Wang Z K, Li C, Zhang J J, Xu S Q. Mode-locked Tm fiber laser using SMF-SIMF-GIMF-SMF fiber structure as a saturable absorber. Opt Express 25, 26546–26553 (2017).
12. Li N, Liu M Y, Gao X J, Zhang L, Jia Z X et al. All-fiber widely tunable mode-locked thulium-doped laser using a curvature multimode interference filter. Laser Phys Lett 13, 075103 (2016).
13. Ma W Z, Wang T Su, Wang F R, Wang C B, Zhang L, et al. Tunable high repetition rate actively mode-locked fiber laser at 2 μm. Opto-Electron Eng, 45, 170662(2018)
14. Yin K, Zhang B, Li L, Jiang T, Zhou X F et al. Soliton mode-locked fiber laser based on topological insulator Bi2Te3 nanosheets at 2 μm. Photonics Res 3, 72–76 (2015).
15. Sotor J, Sobon G, Kowalczyk M, Macherzynski W, Paletko P et al. Ultrafast thulium-doped fiber laser mode locked with black phosphorus. Opt Lett 40, 3885–3888 (2015).
16. Gaida C, Gebhardt M, Heuermann T, Stutzki F, Jauregui C et al. Ultrafast thulium fiber laser system emitting more than 1 kW of average power. Opt. Lett. 43, 5853–5856 (2018).
17. Haxsen F, Wandt D, Morgner U, Neumann J, Kracht D. Pulse characteristics of a passively mode-locked thulium fiber laser with positive and negative cavity dispersion. Opt Express 18, 18918–18988 (2010).
18. Haxsen F, Wandt D, Morgner U, Neumann J, Kracht D. Pulse energy of 151 nJ from ultrafast thulium-doped chirped-pulse fiber amplifier. Opt Lett 35, 2991–2993 (2010).
19. Haxsen F, Wandt D, Morgner U, Neumann J, Kracht D. Monotonically chirped pulse evolution in an ultrashort pulse thulium-doped fiber laser. Opt Lett 37, 1014–1016 (2012).
20. Wienke A, Haxsen F, Wandt D, Morgner U, Neumann J et al. Ultrafast, stretched-pulse thulium-doped fiber laser with a fiber-based dispersion management. Opt Lett 37, 2466–2468 (2012).
21. Wang Q Q, Chen T, Li M S, Zhang B T, Lu Y F et al. All-fiber ultrafast thulium-doped fiber ring laser with dissipative soliton and noise-like output in normal dispersion by single-wall carbon nanotubes. Appl Phys Lett 103, 011103 (2013).
22. Li H H, Liu J, Cheng Z C, Xu J, Tan F Z et al. Pulse-shaping mechanisms in passively mode-locked thulium-doped fiber lasers. Opt Express 23, 6292–6303 (2015).
23. Sobon G, Sotor J, Martynkien T, Abramski K M. Ultra-broadband dissipative soliton and noise-like pulse generation from a normal dispersion mode-locked Tm-doped all-fiber laser. Opt Express 24, 6156–6161 (2016).
24. Liu H, Kieu K, Lefrancois S, Renninger W H, Chong A et al. Tm fiber laser mode-locked at large normal dispersion. In CLEO: 2011-Laser Science to Photonic Applications, 1–2 (IEEE, 2011); http://doi.org/10.1364/CLEO_SI.2011.CMK1.
25. Sun B, Luo J Q, Zhang Y, Wang Q J, Yu X. 65-fs pulses at 2 μm in a compact Tm-doped all-fiber laser by dispersion and nonliearity management. IEEE Photonics Technol Lett 30, 303–306 (2018).
26. Pawliszewska M, Martynkien T, Przew?oka A, Sotor J. Dispersion-managed Ho-doped fiber laser mode-locked with a graphene saturable absorber. Opt Lett 43, 38–41 (2018).
27. Kadel R, Washburn B R. An all-fiber stretched-pulse Thulium/Holmium co-doped ultrafast Laser. In Frontiers in Optics 2013 (OSA, 2013); http://doi.org/10.1364/FIO.2013.FTh3B.5.
28. Zhao J Q, Li L, Zhao L M, Tang D Y, Shen D Y. Cavity-birefringence-dependent h-shaped pulse generation in a thulium-holmium-doped fiber laser. Opt Lett 43, 247–250 (2018).
29. Kadel R, Washburn B R. Stretched-pulse and solitonic operation of an all-fiber thulium/holmium-doped fiber laser. Appl Opt 54, 746–750 (2015).
30. Ci??ka P, Rampur A, Heidt A, Feurer T, Klimczak M. Dispersion measurement of ultra-high numerical aperture fibers covering thulium, holmium, and erbium emission wavelengths. J Opt Soc Am B 35, 1301–1307 (2018).
31. Tang D Y, Zhao L M, Zhao B. Soliton collapse and bunched noise-like pulse generation in a passively mode-locked fiber ring laser. Opt Express 13, 2289–2294 (2005).
32. Zhao L M, Tang D Y. Generation of 15-nJ bunched noise-like pulses with 93-nm bandwidth in an erbium-doped fiber ring laser. Appl Phys B, 83, 553-557 (2006).
the National Natural Science Foundation of China (61975021), the Science and Technology Project of Jilin Province (20170414041GH), the Research Project of Jilin Provincial Education Department (JJKH20181090KJ)
Get Citation: Ma W Z, Zhao D S, Liu R M, Wang T S, Yuan Q et al. Observation and optimization of 2 μm mode-locked pulses in all-fiber net anomalous dispersion laser cavity. Opto-Electron Adv 3, 200001 (2020).
Previous: Deep-learning powered whispering gallery mode sensor based on multiplexed imaging at fixed frequency