Digital holography has high potentials for future 3D imaging and display technology. We present a method for a dynamic full-color digital holographic 3D display on single digital micro-mirror device (DMD) with full-color, high-speed and high-fidelity characteristics. We combine the square regions of adjacent micro-mirrors into super-pixels that can modulate amplitude and phase independently. Gray images are achieved by amplitude modulation and precise positioning of each color is achieved by phase modulation. The proposed method realizes a full-color imaging based on the three primary colors and achieves measured structural similarity of more than 88% and color similarity of more than 98%, while retaining the high switch speed of 9 kHz, thus achieving dynamic full-color 3D display on charge-coupled device (CCD).
Dynamic full-color digital holographic 3D display on single DMD
First published at:Mar 25, 2021
1. Wakunami K, Hsieh PY, Oi R, Senoh T, Sasaki H et al. Projection-type see-through holographic three-dimensional display. Nat Commun 7, 12954 (2016).
2. Hoffman DM, Girshick AR, Akeley K, Banks MS. Vergence-accommodation conflicts hinder visual performance and cause visual fatigue. J Vis 8, 33 (2008).
3. Szulzycki K, Savaryn V, Grulkowski I. Generation of dynamic Bessel beams and dynamic bottle beams using acousto-optic effect. Opt Express 24, 23977–23991 (2016).
4. St-Hilaire P, Benton SA, Lucente ME, Hubel PM. Color images with the MIT holographic video display. Proc SPIE 1667, 73–84 (1992).
5. Sando Y, Barada D, Yatagai T. Full-color holographic 3D display with horizontal full viewing zone by spatiotemporal-division multiplexing. Appl Opt 57, 7622–7626 (2018).
6. Huebschman M L, Munjuluri B, Garner H R. Dynamic holographic 3-D image projection. Opt Express 11, 437–445(2003).
7. Khalifa AA, Aly HA, El-Sherif AF. Active modulation of laser coded systems using near infrared video projection system based on digital micromirror device (DMD). Proc SPIE 9761, 97610A (2016).
8. Hornbeck LJ. The DMDTM projection display chip: a MEMS-based technology. MRS Bull 26, 325–327 (2001).
9. Sang XZ, Fan FC, Jiang CC, Choi S, Dou WH et al. Demonstration of a large-size real-time full-color three-dimensional display. Opt Lett 34, 3803–3805 (2009).
10. Xing SJ, Sang XZ, Yu XB, Duo C, Pang B et al. High-efficient computer-generated integral imaging based on the backward ray-tracing technique and optical reconstruction. Opt Express 25, 330–338 (2017).
11. Makowski M, Sypek M, Ducin I, Fajst A, Siemion A et al. Experimental evaluation of a full-color compact lensless holographic display. Opt Express 17, 20840–20846 (2009).
12. Makowski M, Ducin I, Sypek M, Siemion A, Siemion A et al. Color image projection based on Fourier holograms. Opt Lett 35, 1227–1229 (2010).
13. Kumagai K, Hasegawa S, Hayasaki Y. Volumetric bubble display. Optica 4, 298–302 (2017).
14. Yaraş F, Kang H, Onural L. Real-time phase-only color holographic video display system using LED illumination. Appl Opt 48, H48–H53 (2009).
15. Yamamoto K, Ichihashi Y, Senoh T, Oi R, Kurita T. 3D objects enlargement technique using an optical system and multiple SLMs for electronic holography. Opt Express 20, 21137–21144 (2012).
16. Sasaki H, Yamamoto K, Wakunami K, Ichihashi Y, Oi R et al. Large size three-dimensional video by electronic holography using multiple spatial light modulators. Sci Rep 4, 6177 (2014).
17. Peña A, Andersen MF. Complete polarization and phase control with a single spatial light modulator for the generation of complex light fields. Laser Phys 28, 076201 (2018).
18. Wu L, Cheng SB, Tao AH. Simultaneous shaping of amplitude and phase of light in the entire output plane with a phase-only hologram. Sci Rep 5, 15426 (2015).
19. Reichelt S, Häussler R, Fütterer G, Leister N, Kato H et al. Full-range, complex spatial light modulator for real-time holography. Opt Lett 37, 1955–1957 (2012).
20. Lin SF, Wang D, Wang QH, Kim ES. Full-color holographic 3D display system using off-axis color-multiplexed-hologram on single SLM. Opt Lasers Eng 126, 105895 (2020).
21. Ulusoy E, Onural L, Ozaktas HM. Full-complex amplitude modulation with binary spatial light modulators. J Opt Soc Am A 28, 2310–2321 (2011).
22. Goorden SA, Bertolotti J, Mosk AP. Superpixel-based spatial amplitude and phase modulation using a digital micromirror device. Opt Express 22, 17999–18009 (2014).
23. Venkatesan R, Koon SM, Jakubowski MH, Moulin P. Robust image hashing. In Proceedings of 2000 International Conference on Image Processing (Cat. No.00CH37101) 664-666(IEEE, 2000); http://doi.org/10.1109/ICIP.2000.899541.
24. Stricker MA, Orengo M. Similarity of color images. Proc SPIE 2420, 381–393 (1995).
25. Wang Z, Bovik AC. A universal image quality index. IEEE Signal Process Lett 9, 81–84 (2002).
26. Wang Z, Bovik A C, Sheikh HR, Simoncelli EP. Image quality assessment: from error visibility to structural similarity. IEEE Trans Image Process 13, 600–612 (2004).
27. Sando Y, Barada D, Yatagai T. Holographic 3D display observable for multiple simultaneous viewers from all horizontal directions by using a time division method. Opt Lett 39, 5555–5557 (2014).
This work was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (91850202, 61775085, 11774256); Natural Science Foundation of GuangdongProvince (2016A030312010,2020A1515010958); Science and Technology Innovation Commission of Shenzhen (KQTD2017033011044403, ZDSYS201703031605029).
Get Citation: Zhang CL, Zhang DF, Bian ZP. Dynamic full-color digital holographic 3D display on single DMD. Opto-Electron Adv 4, 200049 (2021).
Previous: Flexible rotation of transverse optical field for 2D self-accelerating beams with a designated trajectory
Next: Recent developments of quantum dot based micro-LED based on non-radiative energy transfer mechanism