Bioinspired superhydrophobic surfaces have attracted many industrial and academic interests in recent years. Inspired by unique superhydrophobicity and anisotropic friction properties of snake scale surfaces, this study explores the feasibility to produce a bionic superhydrophobic stainless steel surface via laser precision engineering, which allows the realization of directional superhydrophobicity and dynamic control of its water transportation. Dynamic mechanism of water slid-ing on hierarchical snake scale structures is studied, which is the key to reproduce artificially bioinspired multifunctional materials with great potentials to be used for water harvesting, droplet manipulation, pipeline transportation, and vehicle acceleration.
Directional sliding of water: biomimetic snake scale surfaces
1. Feng L, Li S, Li Y, Li H, Zhang L et al. Super-hydrophobic surfaces: from natural to artificial. Adv Mater 14, 1857–1860 (2002).
2. Feng XJ, Jiang L. Design and creation of superwetting/antiwetting surfaces. Adv Mater 18, 3063–3078 (2006).
3. Zorba V, Stratakis E, Barberoglou M, Spanakis E, Tzanetakis P et al. Biomimetic artificial surfaces quantitatively reproduce the water repellency of a lotus leaf. Adv Mater 20, 4049–4054 (2008).
4. Sanchez C, Arribart H, Guille MMG. Biomimetism and bioinspiration as tools for the design of innovative materials and systems. Nat Mater 4, 277–288 (2005).
5. Gao XF, Jiang L. Water-repellent legs of water striders. Nature 432, 36 (2004).
6. Zheng YM, Bai H, Huang ZB, Tian XL, Nie FQ et al. Directional water collection on wetted spider silk. Nature 463, 640–643 (2010).
7. Zhang DS, Ranjan B, Tanaka T, Sugioka K. Carbonized hybrid micro/nanostructured metasurfaces produced by femtosecond laser ablation in organic solvents for biomimetic antireflective surfaces. ACS Appl Nano Mater 3, 1855–1871 (2020).
8. Lou S, Guo XM, Fan TX, Zhang D. Butterflies: inspiration for solar cells and sunlight water-splitting catalysts. Energy Environ Sci 5, 9195–9216 (2012).
9. Parnell AJ, Bradford JE, Curran EV, Washington AL, Adams G et al. Wing scale ultrastructure underlying convergent and divergent iridescent colours in mimetic Heliconius butterflies. J R Soc Interface 15, 20170948 (2018).
10. Spinner M, Gorb SN, Balmert A, Bleckmann H, Westhoff G. Non-contaminating camouflage: multifunctional skin microornamentation in the west african gaboon viper (Bitis rhinoceros). PLoS One 9, e91087 (2014).
11. Zheng L, Zhong YH, Gao YH, Li JY, Zhang ZH et al. Coupling effect of morphology and mechanical properties contributes to the tribological behaviors of snake scales. J Bionic Eng 15, 481–493 (2018).
12. Ball P. Engineering shark skin and other solutions. Nature 400, 507–509 (1999).
13. Lu Y, Sathasivam S, Song JL, Crick CR, Carmalt CJ et al. Robust self-cleaning surfaces that function when exposed to either air or oil. Science 347, 1132–1135 (2015).
14. Zang DM, Zhu RW, Zhang W, Yu XQ, Lin L et al. Corrosion-resistant superhydrophobic coatings on mg alloy surfaces inspired by lotus seedpod. Adv Funct Mater 27, 1605446 (2017).
15. Chen FZ, Lu Y, Liu X, Song JL, He GJ et al. Table salt as a template to prepare reusable porous PVDF–MWCNT foam for separation of immiscible oils/organic solvents and corrosive aqueous solutions. Adv Funct Mater 27, 1702926 (2017).
16. Golovin K, Dhyani A, Thouless MD, Tuteja A. Low-interfacial toughness materials for effective large-scale deicing. Science 364, 371–375 (2019).
17. Lai YK, Huang JY, Cui ZQ, Ge MZ, Zhang KQ et al. Recent advances in TiO2‐based nanostructured surfaces with controllable wettability and adhesion. Small 12, 2203–2224 (2016).
18. Liu YB, Gu HM, Jia Y, Liu J, Zhang H et al. Design and preparation of biomimetic polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) films with superhydrophobic, self-healing and drag reduction properties via replication of shark skin and SI-ATRP. Chem Eng J 356, 318–328 (2019).
19. Zhuang AY, Liao RJ, Lu Y, Dixon SC, Jiamprasertboon A et al. Transforming a simple commercial glue into highly robust superhydrophobic surfaces via aerosol-assisted chemical vapor deposition. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 9, 42327–42335 (2017).
20. Zhu YZ, Wang JL, Zhang F, Gao SJ, Wang AQ et al. Zwitterionic nanohydrogel grafted PVDF membranes with comprehensive antifouling property and superior cycle stability for oil‐in‐water emulsion separation. Adv Funct Mater 28, 1804121 (2018).
21. Ellinas K, Chatzipetrou M, Zergioti I, Tserepi A, Gogolides E. Superamphiphobic polymeric surfaces sustaining ultrahigh impact pressures of aqueous high‐ and low‐surface‐tension mixtures, tested with laser‐induced forward transfer of drops. Adv Mater 27, 2231–2235 (2015).
22. Tang M, Hong MH, Choo YS, Tang Z, Chua DHC. Super-hydrophobic transparent surface by femtosecond laser micro-patterned catalyst thin film for carbon nanotube cluster growth. Appl Phys A 101, 503–508 (2010).
23. Tang M, Shim V, Pan ZY, Choo YS, Hong MH. Laser ablation of metal substrates for super-hydrophobic effect. J Laser Micro/Nanoeng 6, 6–9 (2011).
24. Zhou R, Lin SD, Shen F, Khew SY, Hong MH. A universal copper mesh with on-demand wettability fabricated by pulsed laser ablation for oil/water separation. Surf Coat Technol 348, 73–80 (2018).
25. Yan HP, Rashid MRBA, Khew SY, Li FP, Hong MH. Wettability transition of laser textured brass surfaces inside different mediums. Appl Surf Sci 427, 369–375 (2018).
26. Wang DH, Sun QQ, Hokkanen MJ, Zhang CL, Lin FY et al. Design of robust superhydrophobic surfaces. Nature 582, 55–59 (2020).
27. Cao WT, Feng W, Jiang YY, Ma C, Zhou ZF et al. Two-dimensional MXene-reinforced robust surface superhydrophobicity with self-cleaning and photothermal-actuating binary effects. Mater Horiz 6, 1057–1065 (2019).
28. Song JL, Guan FS, Pan WH, Liu ZA, Sun J et al. Droplet-based self-propelled miniboat. Adv Funct Mater 30, 1910778 (2020).
29. Wang JN, Liu YQ, Zhang YL, Feng J, Wang H et al. Wearable superhydrophobic elastomer skin with switchable wettability. Adv Funct Mater 28, 1800625 (2018).
30. Paradisanos I, Fotakis C, Anastasiadis SH, Stratakis E. Gradient induced liquid motion on laser structured black Si surfaces. Appl Phys Lett 107, 111603 (2015).
31. Kirner SV, Hermens U, Mimidis A, Skoulas E, Florian C et al. Mimicking bug-like surface structures and their fluid transport produced by ultrashort laser pulse irradiation of steel. Appl Phys A 123, 754 (2017).
32. Wu D, Zhang Z, Zhang YY, Jiao YL, Jiang SJ et al. High-performance unidirectional manipulation of microdroplets by horizontal vibration on femtosecond laser-induced slant microwall arrays. Adv Mater 32, 2005039 (2020).
33. Liu XQ, Bai BF, Chen QD, Sun HB. Etching-assisted femtosecond laser modification of hard materials. Opto-Electron Adv 2, 190021 (2019).
34. Ma WZ, Zhao DS, Liu RM, Wang TS, Yuan Q et al. Observation and optimization of 2 μm mode-locked pulses in all-fiber net anomalous dispersion laser cavity. Opto-Electron Adv 3, 200001 (2020).
35. Li Y, Hong MH. Parallel laser micro/Nano-processing for functional device fabrication. Laser Photonics Rev 14, 1900062 (2020).
36. Livakas N, Skoulas E, Stratakis E. Omnidirectional iridescence via cylindrically-polarized femtosecond laser processing. Opto-Electron Adv 3, 190035 (2020).
37. Jia YC, Wang SX, Chen F. Femtosecond laser direct writing of flexibly configured waveguide geometries in optical crystals: fabrication and application. Opto-Electron Adv 3, 190042 (2020).
38. Stratakis E, Bonse J, Heitz J, Siegel J, Tsibidis GD et al. Laser engineering of biomimetic surfaces. Mat Sci Eng: R: Rep 141, 100562 (2020).
39. Wenzel RN. Resistance of solid surfaces to wetting by water. Ind Eng Chem 28, 988–994 (1936).
40. Tamaura Y, Tahata M. Complete reduction of carbon dioxide to carbon using cation-excess magnetite. Nature 346, 255–256 (1990).
41. Zhang CL, Li S, Wang LJ, Wu TH, Peng SY. Studies on the decomposing carbon dioxide into carbon with oxygen-deficient magnetite: II. The effects of properties of magnetite on activity of decomposition CO2 and mechanism of the reaction. Mater Chem Phys 62, 52–61 (2000).
42. Zhang CL, Li S, Wang LJ, Wu TH, Peng SY. Studies on the decomposition of carbon dioxide into carbon with oxygen-deficient magnetite: I. Preparation, characterization of magnetite, and its activity of decomposing carbon dioxide. Mater Chem Phys 62, 44–51 (2000).
43. Lau KKS, Bico J, Teo KBK, Chhowalla M, Amaratunga GAJ et al. Superhydrophobic carbon nanotube forests. Nano Lett 3, 1701–1705 (2003).
44. Cassie ABD, Baxter S. Wettability of porous surfaces. Trans Faraday Soc 40, 546–551 (1944).
45. Rowlinson JS, Widom B. Molecular Theory of Capillarity (Clarendon Press, Oxford, Oxfordshire, 1982).
46. Nguyen VT, Park WG. A free surface flow solver for complex three-dimensional water impact problems based on the VOF method. Int J Numer Methods Fluids 82, 3–34 (2016).
the Advanced Remanufacturing and Techno-logy Centre (ARTC) under its RIE2020 Advanced Manufacturing and En-gineering (AME) IAF PP Grant (No. A19C2a0019)
引用本文： Zhao YZ, Su YL, Hou XY, Hong MH. Directional sliding of water: biomimetic snake scale surfaces. Opto-Electron Adv 4, 210008 (2021).
下一篇：Special Issue for Xiamen University Centenary Celebration: a Hundred Years of Progress and Innovation