Transparent brittle materials such as glass and sapphire are widely concerned and applied in consumer electronics, optoelectronic devices, etc. due to their excellent physical and chemical stability and good transparency. Growing re-search attention has been paid to developing novel methods for high-precision and high-quality machining of transparent brittle materials in the past few decades. Among the various techniques, laser machining has been proved to be an effective and flexible way to process all kinds of transparent brittle materials. In this review, a series of laser machining methods, e.g. laser full cutting, laser scribing, laser stealth dicing, laser filament, laser induced backside dry etching (LIBDE), and laser induced backside wet etching (LIBWE) are summarized. Additionally, applications of these techniques in micromachining, drilling and cutting, and patterning are introduced in detail. Current challenges and future prospects in this field are also discussed.
[Opto-Electron Adv, 2019, 2(1)] Laser machining of transparent brittle materials: from machining strategies to applications
First published at:Mar 01, 2019
1. Matsumaru K, Takata A, Ishizaki K. Advanced thin dicing blade for sapphire substrate. Sci Technol Adv Mater 6, 120–122 (2005).
2. Rao R, Bradby J E, Williams J S. Patterning of silicon by indentation and chemical etching. Appl Phys Lett 91, 123113 (2007).
3. Prakash E S, Sadashivappa K, Joseph V, Singaperumal M. Nonconventional cutting of plate glass using hot air jet: experimental studies. Mechatronics 11, 595–615 (2001).
4. Yuan F, Johnson J A, Allred D D, Todd R H. Waterjet cutting of cross-linked glass. J Vac Sci Technol A 13, 136–139 (1995).
5. Clower W, Kaajakari V, Wilson C G. Laser-assisted wet etching of quartz crystal resonators. J Microelectromechan Syst 27, 22–24 (2018).
6. Udrea M V, Alacakir A, Esendemir A, Kusdemir O, Pervan O et al. Small-power-pulsed and continuous longitudinal CO2 laser for material processing. Proc SPIE 4068, 657–662 (2000).
7. Garibotti, Domenick J. Dicing of micro-semiconductors: US3112850, 1963.
8. Yadav A, Kbashi H, Kolpakov S, Gordon N, Zhou K M et al. Stealth dicing of sapphire wafers with near infra-red femto-second pulses. Appl Phys A 123, 369 (2017).
9. Couairon A, Mysyrowicz A. Femtosecond filamentation in transparent media. Phys Rep 441, 47–189 (2007).
10. Banks D P, Kaur K S, Eason R W. Etching and forward transfer of fused silica in solid-phase by femtosecond laser-induced solid etching (LISE). Appl Surf Sci 255, 8343–8351 (2009).
11. Lin G, Tan D Z, Luo F F, Chen D P, Zhao Q Z et al. Fabrication and photocatalytic property of α-Bi2O3 nanoparticles by femtosecond laser ablation in liquid. J Alloys Compd 507, L43-L46 (2010).
12. Zimmer K, Böhme R, Rauschenbach B. Laser etching of fused silica using an adsorbed toluene layer. Appl Phys A 79, 1883–1885 (2004).
13. Dausinger F, Hugel H, Konov V I. Micromachining with ultrashort laser pulses: from basic understanding to technical applications. Proc SPIE 5147, 106–115 (2003).
14. Foehl C, Breitling D, Jasper K, Radtke J, Dausinger. Precision drilling of metals and ceramics with short- and ultrashort-pulsed solid state lasers. Proc SPIE 4426, 104–107 (2002).
15. Wang Q Y. Femtosecond Laser Applications in Advanced Technologies (National Defense Industry Press, Beijing, China 2015).
16. Chichkov B N, Momma C, Nolte S, Von Alvensleben F, Tünnermann A. Femtosecond, picosecond and nanosecond laser ablation of solids. Appl Phys A 63, 109–115 (1996).
17. Ahmed F, Lee M S, Sekita H, Sumiyoshi T, Kamata M. Display glass cutting by femtosecond laser induced single shot periodic void array. Appl Phys A 93, 189–192 (2008).
18. Tsai C H, Liou C S. Fracture mechanism of laser cutting with controlled fracture. J Manuf Sci Eng 125, 519–528 (2003).
19. Ye K D, An C W, Hong M H, Lu Y F. Wafer dicing by la-ser-induced thermal shock process. Proc SPIE 4557, 442940 (2001).
20. Lan B, Hong M H, Ye K D, Wang Z B, Cheng S X et al. Laser precision engineering of glass substrates. Jpn J Appl Phys 43, 7102–7106 (2004).
21. Yamamoto K, Hasaka N, Morita H, Ohmura E. Thermal stress analysis on laser cross scribe of glass. J Laser Appl 22, 937–943 (2010).
22. Hu X B, Hao Q, Guo Z R, Zeng H P. Dicing of sapphire wafer with all-fiber picosecond laser. Chin J Lasers 44, 0102016 (2017).
23. Zhuang H W. Research on multifocal picosecond laser stealth dicing btittle materials (Jiangsu University, Zhenjiang, 2017).
24. Tan B, Venkatakrishnan K. Dual-focus laser micro-machining. J Mod Opt 52, 2603–2611 (2005).
25. Li Z G. Multi-focal laser processing system: CN103111757A. 2013.
26. Xie H Z, Zhang Y Y, Yang H, Li J, Yi X Y et al. Multi-focus femtosecond laser scribing method applied to separation of light emitting diode (LED) device: CN102886609A. 2013.
27. Albermann G, Moeller S, Rohleder T, et al. Plasma etching and stealth dicing laser process: US20160071770, 2016.
28. Lopez J, Mishchik K, Chassagne B, Javaux-Leger C, Hönninger C et al. Glass cutting using ultrashort pulsed Bessel beams. In Proceedings of the International Congress on Applications of Lasers & Electro-Optics Conference (ResearchGate, 2015);
29. Alexeev A M, Kryzhanovskiy V I, Khait O V. Method for cutting non-metallic materials and device for carrying out said method: EP1506946A2, 2005.
30. Bovatsek J, Arai A Y, Yoshino F. Transparent material pro-cessing with an ultrashort pulse laser: US8389891, 2013.
31. Seong C Y, Kim H U, Kim N S, Kim B C. Comparison of laser glass cutting processes using ps and fs lasers. In International Congress on Applications of Laser & Electro-Optics Conference (ResearchGate, 2012);
32. Ji L F, Amina, Yan T Y, Wang W H, Wang T R et al. Research progress of ultrafast laser industrial applications based on filamentation. Opto Electron Eng 44, 851–861 (2017).
33. Kovachev L M, Georgieva D A. The long range filament stability: balance between non-paraxial diffraction and third-order nonlinearity. Proc SPIE 8770, 87701G (2013).
34. Daigle J F, Kosareva O, Panov N, Bégin M, Lessard F et al. A simple method to significantly increase filaments’ length and ionization density. Appl Phys B 94, 249–257 (2009).
35. Braun A, Korn G, Liu X, Du D, Squier J et al. Self-channeling of high-peak-power femtosecond laser pulses in air. Opt Lett 20, 73–75 (1995).
36. Brodeur A, Chien C Y, Ilkov F A, Chin S L, Kosareva O G et al. Moving focus in the propagation of ultrashort laser pulses in air. Opt Lett 22, 304–306 (1997).
37. Mlejnek M, Wright E M, Moloney J V. Dynamic spatial replen-ishment of femtosecond pulses propagating in air. Opt Lett 23, 382–384 (1998).
38. Tan D Z, Sharafudeen K N, Yue Y Z, Qiu J R. Femtosecond laser induced phenomena in transparent solid materials: Fundamentals and applications. Prog Mater Sci 76, 154–228 (2016).
39. Song Z M, Zhang Z G, Nakajima T. Transverse-mode dependence of femtosecond filamentation. Opt Express 17, 12217–12229 (2009).
40. Courvoisier F, Zhang J, Bhuyan M K, Jacquot M, Dudley J M. Applications of femtosecond Bessel beams to laser ablation. Appl Phys A 112, 29–34 (2013).
41. Sugioka K, Obata K, Hong M H, Wu D J, Wong L L et al. Hybrid laser processing for microfabrication of glass. Appl Phys A 77, 251–257 (2003).
42. Sugioka K, Obata K, Midorikawa K, Hong M H, Wu D J et al. Advanced materials processing based on interaction of laser beam and a medium. J Photochem Photobiol A 158, 171–178 (2003).
43. Hong M H, Sugioka K, Lu Y F, Midorikawa K, Chong T C. Laser microfabrication of transparent hard materials and signal diagnostics. Appl Surf Sci 186, 556–561 (2002).
44. Lu X Z, Jiang F, Lei T P, Zhou R, Zhang C T et al. La-ser-induced-plasma-assisted ablation and metallization on C-plane single crystal sapphire (c-Al2O3). Micromachines 8, 300 (2017).
45. Stone A, Sakakura M, Shimotsuma Y, Miura K, Hirao K et al. Femtosecond laser-writing of 3D crystal architecture in glass: Growth dynamics and morphological control. Mater Des 146, 228–238 (2018).
46. Pan C F, Chen K Y, Liu B, Ren L, Wang J R et al. Fabrication of micro-texture channel on glass by laser-induced plasma-assisted ablation and chemical corrosion for microfluidic devices. J Mater Process Technol 240, 314–323 (2017).
47. Gao H, Hu Y W, Xuan Y, Li J, Yang Y L et al. Large-scale nanoshaping of ultrasmooth 3D crystalline metallic structures. Science 346, 1352–1356 (2014).
48. He C, Liu F R, Wang M, Yuan J W, Chen J M. Laser induced backside wet and dry etching of solar glass by short pulse ytterbium fiber laser irradiation. J Laser Appl 24, 022005 (2012).
49. Zelenska K S, Zelensky S E, Poperenko L V, Kanev K, Mizeikis V et al. Thermal mechanisms of laser marking in transparent polymers with light-absorbing microparticles. Opt Laser Technol 76, 96–100 (2016).
50. Jiang W, Xie X Z, Wei X, Hu W, Ren Q L et al. High contrast patterning on glass substrates by 1064 nm pulsed laser irradiation. Opt Mater Express 7, 1565–1574 (2017).
51. Böhme R, Hirsch D, Zimmer K. Laser etching of transparent materials at a backside surface adsorbed layer. Appl Surf Sci 252, 4763–4767 (2006).
52. Böhme R, Zimmer K. The influence of the laser spot size and the pulse number on laser-induced backside wet etching. Appl Surf Sci 247, 256–261 (2005).
53. Kopitkovas G, Lippert T, Venturini J, David C, Wokaun A. Laser induced backside wet etching: mechanisms and fabrication of micro-optical elements. J Phys 59, 526–532 (2014).
54. Vass C, Hopp B, Smausz T, Ignácz F. Experiments and numerical calculations for the interpretation of the backside wet etching of fused silica. Thin Solid Films 453–454, 121–126 (2004).
55. Zimmer K. Analytical solution of the laser-induced temperature distribution across internal material interfaces. Int J Heat Mass Transfer 52, 497–503 (2009).
56. Zimmer K, Ehrhardt M, Böhme R. Simulation of laser-induced backside wet etching of fused silica with hydrocarbon liquids. J Appl Phys 107, 034908 (2010).
57. Xie X Z, Huang X D, Jiang W, Wei X, Hu W et al. Three dimensional material removal model of laser-induced backside wet etching of sapphire substrate with CuSO4 solutions. Opt Laser Technol 89, 59–68 (2017).
58. Huang X D. Numerical simulation and experimental investigation in laser-induced backside wet etching of sapphire (Guangdong University of Technology, Guangzhou, 2015).
59. Sato T, Kurosaki R, Narazaki A, Kawaguchi Y, Niino H. Flexible 3D deep microstructures of silica glass by laser-induced backside wet etching. Appl Phys A 101, 319–323 (2010).
60. Mitsuishi M, Sugita N, Kono I, Warisawa S. Analysis of laser micromachining in silica glass with an absorbent slurry. CIRP Ann 57, 217–222 (2008).
61. Huang Z Q, Hong M H, Do T B M, Lin Q Y. Laser etching of glass substrates by 1064 nm laser irradiation. Appl Phys A 93, 159–163 (2008).
62. Yang Y X, Wang Q X, Keat T S. Dynamic features of a laser-induced cavitation bubble near a solid boundary. Ultrason Sonochem 20, 1098–1103 (2013).
63. Chen Y H, I L. Dynamics of impacting a bubble by another pulsed-laser-induced bubble: jetting, fragmentation, and entanglement. Phys Rev E 77, 026304 (2008).
64. Hu M F. Study on laser induced cavitation bubbles and flow field distribution during laser-induced backside wet etching sapphire substrates (Guangdong University of Technology, Guangzhou, 2014).
65. Xie X Z, Yuan X R, Chen W F, Wei X, Hu W et al. New development and applications of laser-induced cavitation bubbles. Laser Optoelectron Prog 50, 080017 (2013).
66. Xie X Z, Hu M F, Chen W F, Wei X, Hu W et al. Cavitation bubble dynamics during laser wet etching of transparent sapphire substrates by 1064 nm laser irradiation. J Laser Micro Nanoeng 8, 259–265 (2013).
67. Long J Y, Zhou C X, Cao Z Q, Xie X Z, Hu W. Incubation effect during laser-induced backside wet etching of sapphire using high-repetition-rate near-infrared nanosecond lasers. Opt Laser Technol 109, 61–70 (2018).
68. Lee T, Jang D, Ahn D, Kim D. Effect of liquid environment on laser-induced backside wet etching of fused silica. J Appl Phys 107, 033112 (2010).
69. Liu X M, Long Z, He J, Liu X H, Hou Y F et al. Temperature effect on the impact of a liquid-jet against a rigid boundary. Optik 124, 1542–1546 (2013).
70. Soliman W, Nakano T, Takada N, Sasaki K. Modification of Rayleigh-Plesset theory for reproducing dynamics of cavitation bubbles in liquid-phase laser ablation. Jpn J Appl Phys 49, 116202 (2010).
71. Cao Z Q, Xie X Z, Chen W F, Wei X, Hu W et al. Research progress of pressure detection and applications in liq-uid-assisted laser machining. Opto-Electron Eng 44, 381–392 (2017).
72. Cao Z Q. Study on the detection of cavitation and pressure in the process of laser induced backside wet etching of sapphire substrates. (Guangdong University of Technology, Guangzhou, 2018).
73. Qiao L L, He F, Wang C, Cheng Y, Sugioka K et al. A microfluidic chip integrated with a microoptical lens fabricated by femtosecond laser micromachining. Appl Phys A 102, 179–183 (2011).
74. Liu J, Zhang Z, Lu Z, Xiao G, Sun F et al. Fabrication and stitching of embedded multi-layer micro-gratings in fused silica glass by fs laser pulses. Appl Phys B 86, 151–154 (2007).
75. Queste S, Salut R, Clatot S, Rauch J Y, Khan Malek C G. Manufacture of microfluidic glass chips by deep plasma etching, femtosecond laser ablation, and anodic bonding. Microsyst Technol 16, 1485–1493 (2010).
76. Ji L F, Hu Y, Li J, Wang W H, Jiang Y J. High-precision mi-cro-through-hole array in quartz glass machined by infrared picosecond laser. Appl Phys A 121, 1163–1169 (2015).
77. Gao X Y. Study on the development of working solution and processing mechanism of laser wet etching sapphire substrate. (Guangdong University of Technology, Guangzhou, 2014).
78. Jiang W. Study on the mechanism of micro Nano suspended particle assisted laser-induced backside wet dicing of sapphire substrate. (Guangdong University of Technology, Guangzhou, 2017).
79. Shen J J, Luo G X, Pan Y, Liu Z J, Jiang Z H. Research on glass cutting process base on 532 nm wavelength nanosecond laser. Appl Laser 35, 493–499 (2015).
80. Rolo A, Coelho J, Pires M. Laser glass marking: influence of pulse characteristics. Proc SPIE 5958, 59583D (2005).
81. Nakazumi T, Sato T, Narazaki A, Niino H. Laser marking on soda-lime glass by laser-induced backside wet etching with two-beam interference. J Micromechan Microeng 26, 095015 (2016).
82. Dumont T, Lippert T, Wokaun A, Leyvraz P. Laser writing of 2D data matrices in glass. Thin Solid Films 453–454, 42–45 (2004).
83. Zhang X M, Ma J Q, Ding Y F. Analysis of marking glass with different process parameters based on super-pulsed laser. Adv Mater Res 602–604, 929–933 (2013).
84. Sato T, Narazaki A, Niino H. Fabrication of micropits by LIBWE for laser marking of glass materials. J Laser Micro/Nanoeng 12, 248–253 (2017).
85. Ding X, Yasui Y, Kawaguchi Y, Niino H, Yabe A. Laser-induced back-side wet etching of fused silica with an aqueous solution containing organic molecules. Appl Phys A 75, 437–440 (2002).
86. Ding X, Kawaguchi Y, Niino H, Yabe A. Laser-induced high-quality etching of fused silica using a novel aqueous medium. Appl Phys A 75, 641–645 (2002).
87. Ding X M, Sato T, Kawaguchi Y, Niino H. Laser-induced backside wet etching of sapphire. Jpn J Appl Phys 42, 176–178 (2003).
88. Wang J, Niino H, Yabe A. Micromachining of quartz crystal with excimer lasers by laser-induced backside wet etching. Appl Phys A 69, S271–S273 (1999).
89. Niino H, Kawaguchi Y, Sato T, Narazaki A, Gumpenberger T et al. Laser ablation of toluene liquid for surface micro-structuring of silica glass. Appl Surf Sci 252, 4387–4391 (2006).
90. Sohn I B, Choi H K, Yoo D, Noh Y C, Sung J H et al. Synchronized femtosecond laser pulse switching system based nano-patterning technology. Opt Mater 69, 295–302 (2017).
91. Bekesi J, Meinertz J, Simon P, Ihlemann J. Sub-500-nm patterning of glass by nanosecond KrF excimer laser ablation. Appl Phys A 110, 17–21 (2013).
the National Natural Science Foundation of China (51575114 and 51805093), the National Key R&D Program of China (2018YFB1107700) and Guangzhou Science and Technology Project (201607010156).
Get Citation: Xie X Z, Zhou C X, Wei X, et al. Laser machining of transparent brittle materials: from machining strategies to applications[J]. Opto-Electronic Advances, 2018, 2(1): 180017.
Next: [Opto-Electron Eng, 2019, 46(3)] Development status and prospect of optical storage technology
Opto-Electronic Advances, 2019
Optics and Lasers in Engineering, 2019